Monday, January 31, 2011

[Captain's Log] Day in the Life of Maritime

Source: [UWO Captain's Log] Day in the Life of Maritime


Captain Anjel's Log                                
by David "AnjelusX" Slauenwhite

December 26, 1494

While in my mind, adventuring is my main calling, like any loyal and passionate citizen of my nation, I do my part by partaking in the Maritime activities of my country. Pirates are everywhere on the open seas, along coastal waters and vibrant throughout the world. Travelling even for an experienced captain can be perilous for one never knows when they might strike and being prepared to protect yourself and your cargo is a requirement for any salty dog wishing to ply the oceans of the world.

The first and foremost skill I found to be useful to me was learning the art of Gunnery. Knowing and using one’s cannons in a capable and effective manner can be the meaning between survival and getting sunk and pillaged. I learned during my time at the Academy the various methods and types of shot available to me which lead to my choices of armaments. I enjoy using my distance cannons to manoeuvre around fighting off and sinking pirates, I also am well pleased using incendiary shot to light up my enemies and create chaos for them. Planning and executing my ships turns in combat allows me to place critical shots on my enemy’s bow and stern for even more effective damage, which is always pleasant.


There have been times however, when the enemy closes with my ship and we must take the battle man to man, ship to ship, fighting to separate ourselves and get back to cannon range. Having effective training in swordplay, keeping some firearms on board, and learning the differences between guard, assault, and tactics keeps my sailors alive. Having a few smoke bombs to create confusion amongst the enemy sailors and gain me some measure of advantage either to break contact or land the finishing blow. Sometimes as I round up the last of the pirate crew we are the ones who make off with some booty for our troubles, a nice end to a rather nasty bit of business.


Maritime members do not only confine their derring-do to the seas, for as I’ve mentioned in previous entries; Pirates and Bandits lurk in land, ready to waylay travellers, adventures, or the lost and lonely merchant. Taking the battle to them, to fight with sword and gun, staff and knife can boost your skills in hand to hand combat, preparing the way for better melee battles at sea. Also you can loot the dead and sometimes find yourself with a nice weapon for your deeds or better still some money and experience to add to your growing skills.


Pirates will always be a scourge to contend with, desperate men and women on the seas and lands out to take what they can take and kill any who cross their path. It is a worthy task to meet these sea rats and defeat them. Though to be entirely honest with both you my readers and even with myself, I’ve had times when even I have contemplated turning to piracy. Perhaps it’s more of a romanticism of mine than any real urge to commit crime. There was always something appealing when I was young lad to raise a flag of my own on the mast and live life free as the wind taking what I had to the power to take and damn any and all blighters who came into my cannon range.

Life even for the honest and upstanding can start and end at the point of a sword. Even Pirates have their own code to live by and perhaps one day I will find myself forced to take up piracy, or perhaps in another life I can live a different life and become a plague of the seas to be feared and infamous. The sea is full of opportunities, so long as you’re willing to seize them!

Fair Breezes and Safe Seas,

Captain Anjelus Xavier Infiniti 

Official Site: http://global.netmarble.com/uwo/
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OfficialUnchartedWaters

No comments: